Saturday, August 16, 2008

How I Would Design My Dream Beach House





My dream is to have a bungalow on the beach somewhere on Maui, preferably down in Wailea. I can just imagine having my nana wall fully open as the ocean breezes blow in while I am in the living room with friends having a cocktail. Ahhhhh! Life should be so sweet!




But, until that is a reality, I can at least start to plan and get ready for that day! After all, they say to visualize what you want in life, right? Well, here goes....







Entry








Tucker Robbins Waterfall Table. The gentleman who started Tucker Robbins is a former monk and his products are so unusual and zen-like, mimicking his life. The organic quality of this is spectacular.

















A table lamp by Michael Smith for Visual Comfort and Co. Simple and classic.











A few baskets to throw on top and under the entry table.











A square pendant ceiling light fixture by Restoration Hardware. I love iron in a beach house light fixture. It's simple, not overstated or fussy. I also like to have an old-world feeling with my decor. This achieves that.









Living Room





The Williams Sonoma Home sectional sofa. I normally wouldn't purchase another traditional sofa like this (I have one now and now I'm leaning toward something a little more contemporary), but when I think about the feeling that I would like my beach house to have, it is all about comfort. It must feel like you can with down with friends, have a mai tai in your hand and talk for hours! So, traditional it is! I would choose a white cotton fabric, to convey breezy and easy. This one has white muslin on it.











Flat Braided Jute Rug from Pottery Barn. Soft underfoot. Perfect in any space in a beach house.







Seagrass Wingback Chair from Pottery Barn. Beachy, comfortable and easily cleanable.

Tucker Robbins Coffee Table. Simple, Functional, Organic. Enough said! Add a few votive candles...







Instant peace, calm and serenity....






A plantation chair from . Every beach house must have one of these chairs, don't you think?







The Human Chair from Tucker Robbins. I love to have at least one conversation piece in a living space. This chair is tropical hardwood with an ebonized finish.










A display cabinet in the living area space of a home display all of your finds from your travels or just your favorite pottery or china. I don't think that dining rooms are used as much as they should be, so why not display your lovelies in the most used space of your home?









The muffin chairs from Tucker Robbins. These are so wonderful! What imaginations they have at that company! I would put a few of these around the living room and patio for extra seating.











The bean chair from Tucker Robbins. Ditto everything that I said about the muffin chair!









Dining Room





Japanese Dining Table from Tucker Robbins. The table top is one large slab of wood with natural undulations on the edges. Beautiful.



The Wave Dining Chair by Kerry Vesper for The Artful Home. These chairs are solid cherry and stack laminated Baltic birch that are handcut and pieced together. They look super comfortable and are absolutely phenomenal!


Another view of the Wave Dining Chair.


Master Bedroom







Tucker Robbins created this beautiful bed with the gigantic headboard and platform base. Very simple, just the way I like it!









Yves Delorme Etoile luxury linens. You have to have some ultra-sumptuous sheets to climb into after a day on the beach. These linens are cotton sheets adorned with half-inch hemstitching—the classic jour échelle croisé. Part of their Palace Collection. Enough to make you want to skip the sunrise and stay in bed!










Palecek's Colonialwood Club Chair. I saw a chair just like this in a Designer's Challenge show a few years ago and fell in love with it. When the Designer's Challenge book was published it had that show episode in it. It says Hawaii, plantation and beachy to me.






Master Bathroom














Restoration Hardware's Hutton Collection Double Washstand in Espresso. The shelving underneath opens up the room and allows you to display beautiful towels and baskets.









Restoration Hardware's Vintage Collection Faucet Set. The high water faucet lends itself to a vintage feel.











The Williams Sonoma Fulton burlwood mirror is beautiful and it reminds me of some of the species of woods that you would find in Hawaii.













Tucker Robbins Phillipines Ladder. Casual towel storage.




Patio












Malibu Sunbed with Cushion from http://www.teakwarehouse.com/. Fantastic with the pull-out drink holder and adjustable knee-lift and back-rest.

A couple of these by my infinity pool would do just fine, thank you!












The perfect patio dining set from http://www.frontgate.com/ that would be great for large dinner parties, but not too large! Just large enough to be able to hear what everyone has to say, share intimate jokes and pass around a great bottle of wine with dessert. I love the wooden frame with the mesh insets.



Thanks for sharing my dream house with me. Soon I will share my favorite pics of beach houses. Till then!



























No comments:

Post a Comment